Every time I search for information or help with common illnesses or minor medical issues on the internet I notice the results are depressingly nearly always in one of the below categories:
1) Have you tried THE MOST OBVIOUS POSSIBLE THING? SUCH AS OVER THE COUNTER MEDICINE THAT BY THE WAY PROBABLY DOESN’T ACTUALLY DO ANYTHING AT ALL?
2) Here is a list of 15 folk remedies various people vaguely supposed might do some good, based upon no real evidence but many vaguely plausible sounding and optimistic pseudo-scientific explanations. Put an onion in your ear! Onions exude special ear curing fumes! No wait.. how about you try some lemon juice mixed with salt water? Try acupuncture, a sauna, yoga, and affix magnets to your body, and concentrate hard on removing negative ions. Eat lots of raw garlic and olive oil, also apple cider vinegar has been known for centuries by Ancient Monks to relieve every ailment known to humanity. Even the ones directly caused by too much acid are secretly actually caused by not enough apple cider vinegar! Laugh all you want but you are definitely going to be desperate enough to try at least one of these! Feel free to attribute any success to the remedies you use, using the magic of the placebo effect/confirmation bias.
3) Avoid consuming things that you love, such as coffee, soft drink, gluten, dairy foods, alcohol, smoking, fatty foods, foods that contain hydrogenated fats, acidic foods, alkaline foods, foods that are on both acid and alkaline lists for some reason, anti-foods, and everything that is in your fridge right now.
4) Have you tried MAJOR SURGERY TO FIX THIS THING THAT YOU THOUGHT WAS TRIVIAL AND MINOR AND DEFINITELY GOING TO GO AWAY?
5) NHS pages and forums featuring comments from people who have been eternally cursed to endure years of suffering from This One thing that you thought was Trival and Minor and Definitely Going to Go Away. Featuring cries of help from those the system has failed, including via botched major surgery, and a grim reminder that temporary misery can, due to cruel twists of fate, become permanent.